Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Why one should never agree to having one's wisdom teeth pulled out

I had my widsom teeth pulled out on monday last week. My girlfriend, who's a dentist, recommended me to get them extracted, and since it's very much cheaper having it done here in Japan than in Sweden, I was foolish to believe that it actually was a good idea to get it done.

The clinic I went to (which is where my girlfriend works, but she's working under guidance from the dentist in charge since she started working as a dentist recently) actually has his own operation room. I had come from a quick walk for about 30 minutes to get to the dental clinic, on top of that already being quite nervous, so my pulses was already quite high. Arriving at the clinic I figured I'd lie on a normal dentist's chair for the extraction, so I was kind of surprised being told to put on a green shirt of the type that patients wear for a surgery, being led into an operating room and having a bunch of cables connected to my chest and a beeping pulse meter and being asked to lie down on an operating table. Lying there hearing that damn beeping of my own pulse of course made me even more nervous and the beeping became quicker and quicker.

The process itself was not too bad, just a strange experience. The dentist first started cutting away lots of meat in my mouth with a surgical knife, then taking out a small electrical saw to grind down the bone enough to be able to get a grip of the tooth. The first tooth had to be cut into two parts to be able to get extracted by some reason. At one point during the sawing I was convinced that he was actually sawing somewhere in the front of my mouth. I know that dentist are evil people, but I still found it a bit strange that he would be cutting my bone in the front of the mouth during the extraction of my wisdom teeth. Figured out after a while that due to anaesthesia, I couldn't feel at all what was going on in the back of my mouth, but my bone was vibrating from the sawing, causing it to feel exactly as if the non-anaesthesized part was being cut, just without the pain. Well, if it would be possible to get sawed in the mouth on a non-anaesthesized part without feeling pain that is.

Anyway, I can assure you that it sounds alot more nasty than it was. I had a green paper covering my face and kept my eyes closed so fortunately I didn't have to see what was going on. It was just about staying calm for the a bit more than an hour or so that it took.

What's been quite tough is the aftermath. Been waking up pretty much every morning for the first week like a soldier who wakes up on the warfield with both his legs blown off, dying for a dose of morphine. An intense pain starting from the back of my mouth and reaching out along the jawbone to the front of the mouth, a massive headache on both sides and a tense feeling in my neck. According to my girlfriend the different nerves are connected and brain nerve number 3 or some stuff like that does a good job in spreading the pain all over my head. Thanks for the info, sure helps me alot...

During the first 24 hours it made no big difference if I took painkillers or not, tried for one and a half hour to eat a bowl of soup but finally had to give up after eating half of it and went back to bed.
After withstanding the first day it actually got a bit better and the pain became quite manageable as long as I took painkillers, I'm just wondering how healthy it is to take painkillers three times per day for more than a week. My always troubled stomach has actually gotten a lot better after the teeth extraction though, so maybe I should stick to the painkillers. Or it might just be because I'm eating a lot slower and a bit less than before.
Now, a bit more than a week after the torture began, I'm actually getting better. I can survive with taking painkillers just twice per day. Still quite troublesome with washing the big holes left after the 'amputation' of my teeth and it will be like that for quite a while. Pretty big pieces of food gets stuck in there and I have this thing that looks like a syringe but without a sharp edge that I have to put into the opening of the holes to squirt in some water a few times per day, but I can live with it for a while.

So everyone, my advice is; if you're told by a dentist that you should have your wisdom teeth extracted, run! My girlfriend might not agree with me, but I am now convinced that dentists are evil sadist who loves to inflict a lot of pain on you and then take all your money. Sure, you MIGHT get caries and infections etc if you don't have your wisdom teeth pulled out, but to me it sounds like a piece of cake compared to having them pulled out.

I have to admit that it's quite cool to have your own big nice tooth in a plastic bag though, isn't it?




Finally, one should note that the text above is written after enduring a week of combined mouth, neck and headache, so if you really want to have your wisdom teeth pulled out, go ahead. Just don't come complaining to me afterwards.

2 comments:

Kiji said...

itaine!

We are in 2019? quite strange...

kobran said...

You are a most brave man, Tomas! You went through all that and survived! Maybe you got inflicted by the samurai-spirit? I think that is what happens to you if you stay long-term in Japan.
And it surely is a beautiful tooth on the photo. It could be a part of a samurai-spirited(away?)-installation. I suggest you also use your samuraisword as a part of the creation.
All that won't kill you makes you stronger!(Old samuraisaying)