Monday, April 2, 2007

Why Japan?

Why does anyone decide to go to Japan to study Japanese?
Since this is a question people tend to ask me, I meant to write an answer to it before leaving Sweden, but I just never got it done.

The truth is just that I find it just as hard to answer every time.
I could start writing all the clichées about an interesting culture and a mix of the old and new and so on.
Well, I don't know really. I had visited Japan twice before and it did seem interesting in many aspects, so it seemed like a good idea to go there and stay for a while and see what I discover, instead of working with loading airplanes for 30 years and ruining my body.
I need an adventure and a challenge­. Learning the Japanese language and getting some knowledge of the Japanese culture seemed like a challenge good enough for me.What it'll lead to eventually, I have no idea. Maybe I'll stay here and study at university or work or go back to Sweden to study or end up somewhere else.

No comments: