Friday, March 30, 2007

Arrived in Sapporo (updated with photos!)

After a long journey, all in all, 28 hours or so, I finally arrived at my dormitory room in Sapporo. Quite big (big for a japanese room that is) and clean and nice. Even have a toilet that can wash my buttocks with water, real japanese style.

Firstly though, let me tell you about the journey. Except for the long waiting in Denmark, things went quite well, could travel business class with Sas, so I could certainly eat and sleep well.
Took a bus from Narita, Tokyo international airport, to the domestic airport Haneda, there awaited the cutest Boeing 747 anyone has ever seen, ready to take us to Sapporo.



The entire aircraft was painted with Pokemon figures in bright, cute colors. Also, the interior of the aircraft was Pokemon everywhere. Even the cups for drinks and the epilon of the flight attendants had Pokemon creatures on them. Only in Japan.

Another Pokemon-edition Ana Boeing 747 passing by:


Life in Sapporo so far has been quite confusing I have to say. In Tokyo, you can find information in english easily, people speak english and signs that doesn't have english at least has Japanese text written with western characters.

In Sapporo, I have in two days of walking around the city seen three western people except for me, one of them another swedish guy who lives at the same place as me. The two others were americans at a cafe. 99,5% of all Japanese people I meet insist on speaking only Japanese and all signs are written with kanji characters only, meaning I can't read them. So it's easy to feel lost, feels good to have another swedish speaking person to talk to sometimes, and my girlfriend who can help me understanding all those damn kanji characters.
I think Sapporo will be a very good city to learn Japanese though, since you are totally lost as a non-japanese speaking foreigner here.

So far, I enjoy my life here though. Food is very good (fruit is 100 times better tasting than in Sweden), 90% of all products in stores are cheaper than in Sweden and the japanese service just makes me really happy. I'll get back to the Japanese service though. Hopefully I can get an Internet connection at my room some time soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tja Tompa! Skönt att vara framme antar jag!? Bara att börja lära dig kanji nu så du överlever när tjejen åker tillbaks till Sverige. Hoppas allt e lugnt och ha de bra! Mvh Sebbe

Anonymous said...

När tjejen åker hem får du svälta;D Hoppas du har det bra ska försöka titta förbi i Augusti.

Brandt (ブラント) said...

sebbe: allt bra hittills, hoppas du har det bra med! snart far jag borja slitna i skolan..

stefan:
Dormitoryt jag bor pa ar tyvarr i det narmaste ett kloster, inga kvinnor ar tillatna overhuvudtaget och om man besoker maste de skriva upp sitt namn och det maste vara kl9-18. Ingen som lagar mat till mig med andra ord :(. Precis inhandlat vattenkokare och rislagarmanick for att overleva.

Anonymous said...

Pokemon painted airplanes cute??!!?? erh... And MY GOD, no one cooking for you... little whining cousin ;o) I´ll pray you survive!