Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Back in Sweden

Figured maybe I should write an update now, if by any chance anybody's still interested in what I am up to.

Firstly, I'd like to apologise for not updating my blog. I keep myself busy as always and when I do have time I have quite simply put priority on other things.

I returned to Sweden from Japan by the end of March last year and now live in Sweden together with my girlfriend (who is Japanese). Actually we're getting married here in Stockholm in May and then we'll have a Shinto style ceremony in Japan in July.

I'm currently studying economics and statistics at the Stockholm university and working part-time. My girlfriend is learning Swedish and doing research at a medical university in Stockholm.

I haven't had any professional use of my knowledge of the Japanese language yet. I guess I could find a job for the summer in the tourist industry if I wanted to, but I've got a part-time job I'm quite pleased with at the moment and the salary in the tourist business would probably be lower, which is a quite important point when you're working part-time to have money to survive.
Luckily I can get some training in speaking Japanese with my girlfriend and some Japanese friends sometimes at least, so I don't really feel like I'm forgetting Japanese that quickly. What I've noticed is that I'm slowly forgetting vocabulary and kanji, but I know it will all get back to me quickly if I just study it for a while again, which I will do at some point in the future.

It's quite interesting to follow my girlfriend studying Swedish now after I've been studying Japanese for two years. I realise how incredibly complicated and irregular the Swedish grammar is compared to the nice and simple Japanese grammar. On top of that, the Swedish language has pronunciations and a melody that makes no sense at all, especially not for Japanese people who have none of that in their language. Even if you consider the trouble for a westerner to learn kanji, I'm getting quite sure that Swedish is the more difficult language to learn.

I am of course missing Japan every now and then. Both Sweden and Japan has it's good and bad points, but I'd like to live in Japan again at some point in the future. I have some ideas what I could do over there in the future, but for now I'll focus on my university studies here and we'll see where we end up.

If anybody has got any questions about studying in Japan or anything, feel free to leave a comment, preferably with your email address and I'll get back to you!

One more thing, if you don't believe me about Swedish being more difficult than Japanese, I recommend you checking out this video clip!

9 comments:

dramacloud said...

Hi Brandt, I'm thinking of attending JLI this summer but have read negative reviews of the school of late on Facebook. I would just like to hear from someone who has just recently been to the school whether the negative reviews are justified before paying my fees upfront! Any help will be appreciated!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have asked you some time ago how to go to study japanese to japan and your answered me, thanks. Now, this year I will begin a 1 year course, and I will be doing home stay. Any advice you can share regarding how to have a good time in japan I will appreciate.(for example: never do ... because; whatch out on...; you can get some income if you...; etc.) And last question, have you ever had any issue because you were a "gaijin"? Thanks!!

Brandt (ブラント) said...

Hi guys,
I'm sorry I'm getting married in a weeka and a half so I'm a bit busy at the moment!

About JLI: Well yes, to be honest, the principal and his family were quite greedy and some students were treated bad. I think some teachers had an even worse time and many good teacher quit the job or were forced to quit.
As for me, I did my best to stay out of trouble and usually just went to school for the lessons and then went back home, so it wasn't that bad for me.

Regarding the stuff on Facebook, I've read it as well and they DO have some important points there in their complaining, I also know about students and teachers who were treated quite bad, so going to JLI is indeed a bit of gambling, I'd say.
However I think the people on Facebook are heavily overdoing that hate campaign. Quite recently the principal of the school passed away and they're just feasting on the news and writing all kinds of rude crap. It kind of shows their level of maturity and allows me to take them not so seriously.

About the principal passing away, I have no idea if it has made the school better or worse.

Brandt (ブラント) said...

My best advice to you, Anonymous:
Find some Japanese friends! Don't isolate yourself and hang out with foreigners only. Finding Japanese friends is the best way to practise the language and have lots of fun at the same time.
Doing a home stay seems like a good start.
If you're into drinking and partying, I'm sure you can make some Japanese friends who likes going out, I did.
If you have other interests, I'm sure you can find people with the same interests.
They have some cultural exchange places with 'meet friends ads' and different events etc in most cities, people in my class met friends that way. Also of course the Internet is always a useful tool.
For me, I just went drinking with some other foreigners and I started talking to a couple of Japanese salary-men in the party area of Sapporo (Susukino) and we became really good friends!

You will be discriminated (as in treated differently compared to Japanese people) every day while staying in Japan!
However I mostly experienced positive discrimination in Japan; people were intersted in me and wanted to talk; I got extra bread for free every time I went to the bread store and so on.
Of course you'll experience some negative discrimination as well, but it's usually just because some Japanese people feel stressed and don't know what to do when they meet a foreigner. I never had any really bad experiences.

About income: Only jobs you'll find easily are as a language teacher or at a bar/restaurant. The language teacher alternative is usually 100 times more attractive than working at a bar.
If you don't want to teach in front of a class, you can usually find ads with people looking for a foreigner for private conversation training. My Italian friend got married to a Japanese woman that way!

Sorry I don't have time to write more now!

dramacloud said...

Thanks very much for your reply!Looking forward to hearing more from you when you have the time. Congrats on your wedding!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your reply, I am going to Tokyo, Japan next week and I am ready. Thanks for your advise.

shin said...

hi, omg reading this after more than a year. i don't know if you'll still see this. Anyway, i was given a scholarship to study in Japan for 3 years, which is like a dream for me. but my parents kind of object to it because they're worried about me living there alone though i have studied Japanese in my own country (Singapore) for some time now.
What do you think? For a girl to live in Japan alone.
多分21歳の女の子だから両親にとってあたしはまだ若いので心配している。他の理由もあるかもしれない。
日本へ行ったことがあるけど一回しかありません。日本の生活はどうかなあ、教えてくれない?
一人でも大丈夫って両親に教えたい。
エメールでもいい、お願いします!

shint90@gmail.com

shin said...

sorry, if you see this, i'll appreciate it if you send me a email instead of replying here 'coz i wouldn't know. thanks >_<

Anonymous said...

Dear Brandt,

Did you attend JLI in the end? It is still a bad school. I already passed N3 but to fill up their vacancy, the school insisted that I joined N4 class.
The admin staff is certainly a flop and they are so worried that the students cannot pay.