Sunday, June 10, 2007

The polite Japanese

I guess most people have heard that Japanese people are extremely polite and helpful. It's definitely true. Probably they're the best mannered people in the world, here it's almost like a crime to not be polite and helpful. Also the service in stores is outstanding, I appreciate it alot. Which is not so good since it makes me spend more money than I want to. I'm lucky that everything's cheaper than in Sweden at least.

Ask someone on the street where to find something and they'll completely stop what they're currently doing and do all they can to help you. If they don't have a clue either where to find what you're looking for, usually they won't say 'I'm sorry, I can't help you' (well it happens sometimes that they do), instead they'll call somebody who knows or just do anything they can to help you.
If they still can't solve your problem, they'll start bowing and apologizing time after time.

In Japan, people tend to say thanks or i am sorry if there's even just the slightest chance that someone could have been offended in any way. It's like it's always better to say it than not to, just to be on the safe side.
So, if you're only going to learn one japanese word, learn 'sumimasen'. An extremely versatile word meaning excuse me/i am sorry/thank you. You'll get very far with that word only.

However, I've found that on one occasion the Swedes are actually more polite; holding the door for the person behind you.

In Sweden, it's kind of rude to not cast a quick glance over you shoulder to see if there's a person right behind you when entering for example a department. And if there is, just put your arm out and hold the door a little bit when you enter, so it doesn't close right onto the person behind you. Practically everyone does that.

Here, in general, people don't hold the door for the person coming up behind. Maybe because the Japanese usually seem kind of stressed? I don't know, haven't managed to figure it out yet. Doesn't really make sense since on all other occasions, the japanese always take their time to be polite and helpful no matter how stressed they seem to be.

On the other hand, I can live with people not holding the door since it's very much compensated by their good manners on all other occasions. Like people not speaking on their cell phones or listening to loud music in the subway for example. That's just incredibly annoying in Sweden.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) Hello Brant.
I found this journal on the internet and I am so very happy that I did! I am thinking of attending a language school in Sapporo, Hokkaido in the future, and I'd like to know some things, if you don't mind :]!

P.S. I agree with you. Japanese people are very respectful... the language barrier makes explaining things so strange >.<

rich said...

I've not noticed the door holding thing, but I'll keep my eye out next time. Generally, I tend to hold the door open too if people are coming..

Kalle said...

I HATE when people hold the door for me. For example, say I'm walking towards the door. I'm 5 metres away and the person entering decides to be polite, and spots me, and holds the door, and waits. What do I do? I have to hurry in order to not be impolite back to the guy.

So yeah, I'm not too mournful about that one. :)