Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Is Japan really that expensive?

I know many people believe that Japan is so expensive that you can hardly survive here, so I figured I should give you some information on that based on my experience.

Compared to Sweden, practically everything is cheaper here in Sapporo, especially compared to Stockholm.

Rent for a newly built apartment with 2 rooms and kitchen and furniture included:
64 000 yen/month (currently about 3770 Swedish kronor)
A small apartment for 1 person, usually without furniture, will be about 30 000-40 000 yen/month. If you're lucky it's quite possible to find one with furniture included though.
Gas, water and electricity is not included.
I paid 6000-8000 yen per month for the gas when I stayed at a dormitory. The gas is used for heating the apartment and for heating the water. At my current apartment, there's an electric water heater though, which I certainly hope is cheaper. It's supposed to be at least.

For food, I've calculated that I eat for about 500-700 yen per day when I eat at home, and I eat a lot compared to most people.

What's expensive at the supermarket are some vegetables and fruits, like kiwi and melons for example. They're really tasty though, so if you just buy them sometimes, it's worth it. Don't get addicted though.
Some nice department stores sell the exclusive melons for many thousands of yen, it's nothing people buy regularly though, usually people buy as a gift.
Stick to the moyashi (bean sprouts) and you can reduce your budget seriously, one quite big pack is about 25-30 yen (~1,7 kr) and they are incredibly good.

At the restaurant, a lunch menu can be about 600-1000 yen (35-60kr), and dinner, totally depending on where and what you eat of course, but on a typical Japanese style restaurant 900-1700 yen.
If you want to party, the all you can eat and drink offers is a good alternative. Costs about 2500-3000 yen for 2 hours of free eating and drinking.
In general, all restaurants hold a very high standard (compared to Sweden at least).

If you meet a nice girl/boy and need a double size bed, it's about 74 000 yen (4350 kr) for a nice one from Mujirushi (Muji in Sweden) including mattress.

A new bike: 10 000-15 000 yen (590-890 kr), an old bike: 3000-5000 yen.

Taking the subway: 160-300 yen per trip, depending on how far you go.

Electronic gadgets, clothes and shoes are all cheaper than in Sweden. Some things alot cheaper, some pretty much the same.

Of course, if you'll go to Tokyo or Osaka, most things will be slightly more expensive and the rent probably alot higher and you'll probably have to spend alot of time on the train to and from school.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I am planning on moving to Sapporo soon to study for the summer. I haven't had much luck finding a cheap apartment. Do you have any recommendations for a short stay place thats furnished? Preferably, I'd like to stay relatively close to the ohdori stop...thanks!

Brandt (ブラント) said...

Hi Rich,
For a short time stay, I'd recommend staying at a dormitory. It can be difficult to arrange for an apartment before coming to Japan. It can even be difficult when you're in Japan, because in Japan all real estate agencies require that you have a guarantor in Japan. For example a company where you're working or a Japanese friend.
At my school, the school can be the guarantor if you use a specific real estate agency only, however, before coming to Japan they only offered to arrange accommodation at a dormitory, and then once you're in Japan they can help you with an apartment through the specific real estate agency (They certainly love bureaucracy in this country).
So in other words, it can be difficult to get an apartment for a short time stay unless you have good Japanese friends residing in Sapporo.

I doubt that there are any dormitories close to Oodoori, however, the city is not that big and you can get around quickly by subway or bicycle unless you stay really far out.

Brandt (ブラント) said...

As for me, the dormitory I stayed at the first 2 months was expensive, 58 000 yen per month (excluding food), Probably you can find other dormitory rooms for around 30 000 yen per month. Dormitories often have curfew hours though, they lock the entrance door between 23.00-6.00 in the night and women are not allowed to enter at the men's dormitory etc..

My girlfriend is Japanese and has a job here in Sapporo and family living in Japan, so her company and parents are the guarantors for our apartment.

rich said...

ah, I see. thanks. I've looked into the dormitory, but the ones offered by the school are expensive and seem far away (relatively?)

I've found some weekly mansions...they're a bit more expensive I suppose (more than 8man per month), but they're furnished, have private bathroom, kitchen, and are flexible (I can stay the exact number of weeks I want, easy check in and check out). Also, compared to Chicago (where I'm from) 8 man for a furnished studio isn't *too* expensive.

anyway, I'm looking forward to learning more Japanese! I really gotta improve it.

thanks!

adriano86 said...

Hej brandt, skulle du kunna skicka din mail till larsknut@hotmail.com? Vill inte skriva min riktiga mail pga SPAM. Sänd iväg ett hej meddelande så svarar jag från min riktiga, vill gärna komma i kontakt med dig privat, har en massa frågor och ska iväg nu till hösten och plugga i Japan eventuellt.

mvh